Thursday 19 November 2015

Data collection

I am in the process of transcribing some of the video data I have.  Of course it is explained in many of the books I read on collecting data that this is a long process.  I was very worried that with my change of amount of students for the group I was studying that I wouldn't have enough data.  It was through reading the chapter on 'Writing about Data' (Holliday 2008 - Doing and Writing Qualitative Data) that I realise your data is what you make of it.  Now after spending a few hours just transcribing 30 mins of one of my videos its exciting to see the 'themes' emerging and that what I felt initially as being a random and not very organized study is starting to make sense.  Through the 'thick descriptions' of seemingly insignificant behaviours and words  I realise as a teacher I don't often really 'see' what is going on with my students other than what they doing as regards to dance steps.   Still I feel a bit behind now having underestimated the amount of data I do have and hope I get through it all in time.  Starting to feel a bit more confident that I can in fact analyse data.  Thanks Adrian Holliday!  Anyone else working with video data?   

3 comments:

  1. Hello Louise,

    I am not working with video data but with audio from interviews. Although not the same, I just wanted to tell you that I also used such a long time to transcribe and that I found the process exciting;) I have also realised that I not always 'see' what is going on in the studio except from the dance-related stuff. For me this process has been quite an eye-opener to the fuller picture of the pupils. I have used Holliday's book a lot as well-it's great;)

    Best of luck with analysis part...

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise!
    I have collected both video and audio data. I am trying to finish transcribing my audio recordings, which is taking me forever! It definitely is a long drawn out process, but a fun one! It is amazing how much more in-depth an interview is when you are able to go away, re-listen to it as you type it out.

    I wasn't planning on transcribing my videos. I think I have too many and not enough time to do that, I might loose my mind if I try to! Are you transcribing all of the dialogue in the videos?

    I haven't begun analysis yet, I have deferred to May so will begin analyzing in January. I am really excited but also look at the huge amount of data I have an feel intimidated by it all!

    Good luck with the end of term!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has helped a lot. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete